He was bullied growing up for being too smart. Now he runs 2 separate billion dollar companies and changing the world. Here are 50 facts that make Elon Musk one of the most interesting CEO’s today.
- Was born in South Africa.
- Is a Canadian and later became an American citizen in 2002.
- He founded Zip2 – a web software company, X.com – which later transformed into Paypal, SpaceX – which mission is to enable people to live on other planets, and Tesla – to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.
- Musk created the Hyperloop concept which would allow travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes.
- Acquired SolarCity, a company founded by his cousins that is now one of the largest solar panel production systems in the United States.
- Created OpenAI, a non-profit AI research organization to develop a safe AI that is beneficial and safe for humanity.
- Known not to rehearse or read off scripts for public presentations.
- Purchased a F1 McLaren as a reward from his sell off of Zip2.
- Crashed his F1 McLaren.
- Created the Tesla Model S that goes faster than the F1 McLaren.
- Is a father of 5 boys – 1 set of twins and 1 set of triplets.
- Currently divides his time between SpaceX and Tesla. Monday’s and Tuesday’s at SpaceX, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s at Tesla. Friday’s are split equally between both.
- Uses Twitter as his go to social media communication platform. Often tweeting at odd hours of the day.
- Robert Downey Jr. modeled his character, Tony Stark, in Iron Man after Elon Musk. Musk does a cameo in Iron Man 2.
- He can eat hamburgers in 3 bites.
- He is friends with Larry Page, CEO of Google (now Alphabet), and has been known to call Larry to stay over in Palo Alto.
- Elon has an interesting sense of humor. The automated robots at the Tesla manufacturing facility are named after X-men characters. These include Xavier, Iceman, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Vulcan, and Havoc. Furthermore, the Tesla Model S’s has insane and ludicrous speed modes, and the Tesla Model X has a bioweapon defense mode. These are all actual mode settings.
- Elon’s mother is a successful model for over 50 years and counting.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams has been cited as his favorite book.
- He wants to colonize Mars because he believes that humanity needs to be an interplanetary species as a safeguard to our most probable extinction of our current reliance of our current planet.
- He is a voracious reader and has been known to cite passages of technical books in debates with his employees.
- He wants to put a roller coaster in the Tesla Factory.
- He made a cameo in an episode of The Big Bang Theory.
- He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics.
- In 1995, at age 24 he was greeted with a case of FOMO (fear of missing out) as the internet boomed. After two days at Stanford pursuing a PhD degree in applied physics, he dropped out to start his first internet company Zip2.
- Elon Musk purchased James Bond’s Lotus Espirit submarine car for ~$1 million dollars and plans to convert it into an actual functional submarine car.
- He has a tenacity to work 100 hours a week.
- Elon has a strict “No-Assholes” hiring policy.
- Elon sleeps an average of 6 hours a day and relies on an app to help him keep track.
- Develops a video game called Blaster at the age of 12.
- Loves putting easter eggs in software in Tesla’s.
- Once had a job where he shoveled dirt in a boiler room.
- Described his childhood as not good.
- Often bullied in school
- Is a fan of Burning Man.
- Has been known to experiment with homemade explosives.
- Threw elaborate house parties in college and charged for cover to pay for his tuition.
- Bribed the Russian police after being held at gun point for attempting to purchase three $7Million rockets.
- Elon has two siblings, one sister and one brother.
- Loves first person shooter games such as Bioshock, Fallout, Mass Effect, and Civilization.
- Drink of choice is whiskey.
- Not interested in running for political office, but likes the quote, “If you are in hell, keep going” by Winston Churchill.
- Has owned an Aero L-39 Jet.
- Has been known to consume 8 cans of diet coke as well as several large cups of coffee to stay alert.
- Admits to having a bad diet. Usually skips breakfast, consumes lunch meals during meetings in 5 minutes, and eats enough for 2 people during business dinners.
- Works out once or twice per week with some treadmill and weigh training.
- Didn’t like the taste of alcohol in college.
- Lives by the first principles of physics in making business decisions and conclusions.
- He likes french food and BBQ.
- “I think its possible for ordinary people to be extraordinary” – Elon Musk
Can’t get enough? Here’s probably the best book about Elon and his work to date: Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
Facts listed are things I have read from various sources around the web since following Elon Musk’s work.
Tesla Blog: Factory Upgrade
Waitbuywhy: Elon Musk: The World’s Raddest Man
AskMen: Elon Musk Interview